There will be an ESCONI field trip to the Irene Quarry near Belvidere, Illinois on Saturday, May 11, 2013, from 9AM to 2PM.
This is the second visit by ESCONI to this site. The rock is Ordovician, Galena Group. This is a "hard-rock" quarry (limestone or dolostone), not shale like Vulcan. The site is owned by William Charles Construction. If you like Hormotoma or Receptaculites, this is the place for you!
Rules (you knew there had to be some)
1. MUST be an ESCONI member as of April 15, 2013.
2. MUST be at least 18 years of age.
3. Sign up by sending me an email with the number of members attending and their names. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls, please.
4. I will acknowledge by return email. If you don't get a reply in 24 hours, send it again.
5. Maximum attendance is 30. I will keep a signup list (up to 30) and a waiting list (about 10) in case of cancellations.
6. Wear the usual clothing and equipment for being in a quarry. No sandals, no claw hammers, etc.
MSHA Part 46 training is not required.
The address of the quarry is 4525 Irene Road, Belvidere, Illinois. A picture of the quarry
can be found at http://www.williamcharlesconstruction.com/Materials/Portfolio-Irene.aspx
I recommend you get a map and directions from the Internet. I can send a small map
if you can't get one directly. There appears to be an exit from Interstate 90 at
Irene Rd, but no entrance back onto the interstate.
I will distribute the release form to those signed up by email just before the trip.
Questions? Send me an email...